MWBA BOARD MEETING
MINUTES: NOVEMBER 7, 2019
BOARD PRESENT: Shamane Morejon, Andrew Hunter, Alex Fore, David Cho, Jon Buckell, Jason
Chiodo, Bart Bombay NON-BOARD PRESENT:
Steve Messer, Rob Praetorian, Carson Blaker, Carter Chappell, Mitch Marich ABSENT: Colin Frazer Meeting commenced at 7:15pm, and adjourned at 9:20pm
○ Introduced topic of December holiday party and fundraiser Details TBD.
○ Finance report was made. Balance sheet is good, benefiting from both grant inputs and donations.
- Finance / Compliance:
- The Gabrielino grant reimbursements are a bit different than we had thought. Focus for that is administrative and planning hours, and also requires some $ spent by MWBA on trails (e.g., hiring Hans Kiefer for repairs on Gab switchbacks).
- Gabrielino grant filings will be done monthly moving forward (asked by USFS).
- Trailwork / Tools / USFS Relations:
- October trail work totals: 467 hours and 50 unique vols.
- Corona tool wishlist delivered to Sponsorships / Fundraising committee.
- Tool loss over last month:
- 1 Mcleod broken on Oct 6th, 1 5’ pry bar lost on Oct 20th.
- Bart donated a different 5’ pry bar Oct 22nd or so.
- Ordered 6 rogue hoes: 2 beast, 2 rhino, 1 60A, 1 55A ~ $400 + shipping. 13 saws~ $240.
- El Prieto projects waiting on people (spring) and rain (corner).
- Talks with Justin are ongoing to get more of waterman project approved.
- Remaining work is very technical and best suited to small experienced groups.
- NICA November 10 brushing Brown Mtn – preparations are done
- 55 minors now, 21 adults of which 13 are MWBA reps.
- November 17 trailwork Strawberry Peak.
- We have sponsors Geaux Party and Trader Joes
Membership / Media / Marketing:
- Headline: Calendar and Messaging in the past month has been successful. Engagement has been high, and Waterman trailwork turnout was solid.
- Marketing updates – Insta, FB and Eblasts
- Upcoming Campaigns:
- Membership Growth Initiative for Nov-Dec. Still looking for pitch.
- Trail Courtesy
- Give A Gift to MWBA – Dec
- Facebook moderation – small issues, but it’s been mostly calm.
- Website / Webstore status
- various updates/corrections made to website
- Nothing going on with webstore
Sponsorships / Fundraising:
- Probably to do a fundraiser of some sort during holidays (perhaps tied to social event).
- Carter suggested:
- a clean-up of our sponsors spreadsheet
- Set up clear goals for projects fundraising (needed so donors know what their money will be used for, especially for larger fundraisers).
- Workday lunch sponsors:
- Board is interested to expand this beyond bike shops, to other local businesses.
Women’s Dig Day:
- Tentatively Lowelifes Responsible Citizens Club (LRCC) to organize, with MWBA helping.
- Sha suggested a recruiting/publicity thing at studio, Jon and Carson expressed interest to talk at that.
- More details to be determined
- Quarterly public forum.
- Rob mentioned that the trail work photos are helping a lot to keep the membership informed.
- Quarterly forum can give more in-depth presentation.
- Previous public forum was in August. To do next one in January.
- Trails workshop in April 2020, we have to start planning NOW!
- Will invite other ANF trail orgs but MWBA is taking the leadership position
- Steve Messer and Matt Baffert helped organize this last time
- Chris Orr and Garret Villanueva also helped last time
- Shamane: Would be nice to include a woman presenter. Steve Messer has some ideas for that.
- Funded via Gab workshare agreement
- Form ad-hoc committee
- Committee volunteers were asked and accepted…
- Andrew motioned new committee with:
- Andrew, Carson, Rob, Jason
- Sha seconded
- Bart motioned to also specify Carson as committee chair
- Andrew seconded
- Unanimously approved
- Steve Messer: CORBA has block of money that needs to be spent on the Gabrielino, would like to partner with MWBA on that so that the expenditure can benefit MWBA Gab grant.
- Alex motioned MWBA co-organize with JPL bike club a work day:
- Small workday on El Prieto, Alex to lead and coordinate dates with JPL bike club.
- Board discussion positive. Andrew 2nded, Unanimously approved.
- Alex motions for Carson to join trailwork / tools / USFS relations committee
- Sha seconded, unanimously approved.
- Coordination of trail work days, including schedules, with external parties:
- Lunch sponsors
- CORBA, LRCC, etc. (and also to promote work by these orgs)
- California Mountain Bikers Coalition (CAMTB) is a new state-wide organization that Steve Messer and CORBA has helped to found. CAMTB invites a liasion from MWBA.
- Some discussion about Wilderness expansions, and what MWBA could do to help ensure preservation of MTB trails in this context, especially the Condor Peak Trail at Mount Baldy.
- Steve Messer is attempting to push a modification on a bill in Congress – to make a minor change the boundary for preserving the trail
- MWBA could help by:
- Reading Ted’s letter on the SPC facebook page
- Set up a meeting with Judy Chu on the topic
- 2020 Strategic Plan.
○ Agreed to set up an ad-hoc meeting for strategic plan, to have more time for the topic.
● Bart motioned the meeting to close. Andrew seconded. Unanimously approved. 9:20pm